- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 10
Commissioning and instruction of the twelve.
After Jesus’ prayer for more workers (Matthew 9:38), Jesus called his twelve disciples. He commissioned them to mission.
Jesus gave them authority (1:1). It means that their mission is the same as Jesus’ mission; to heal the sick and drive out evil spirit, which is the work of the Kingdom of God.
Jesus addresses four aspects of their mission (5-15). First is its area. It is for the lost sheep of Israel. It is temporal priority in God’s purpose compare to Jesus’ commission in Matthew 28:18-20. The second is its task. They proclaim Jesus message and similar work. The third is material support. They do not profit from their mission but trust God. The fourth is its impact. Those who are worthy receive the proclaimed word. Those who do not listen to their word are not coerced. “Shaking off dust” indicates rejection that brings judgement.
Mission is difficult (16-23). Their mission would be challenged by Roman officials and Jewish synagogues with judicial proceedings and punishment because God’s message confronts them. But they are assured of God’s presence and appropriate words during resistance/
Fruitfulness of their mission (24-42). The fruitfulness of their mission is their courage, impact and heavenly reward. Doing Jesus’ mission means sharing the hostility and rejection he experiences. Their mission is the way of Cross that Jesus bears for the salvation of the world. Response to their mission means a positive response to Jesus. Righteous man’s reward is given to those who respond to their, little ones, mission.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.