- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 17
The Transfiguration of Jesus (1-13) — Six days after Peter’s confession on who Jesus is, Christ, the Son of the living God, Jesus was transfigured. His transfiguration also explains his identity, fulfillment of the law and prophets. Moses represents the law and Elijah represent the prophets.
Jesus fulfills the law and prophets in his death and resurrection (v.9)
The healing of a boy with a demon-possed (14-20) — Jesus heals a boy who was demon possessed. Even though Jesus gave his disciples authority to drive out demon, they failed. The disciple’s little faith (v.20) could not manifest God’s powerful, liberating, and merciful work. This healing story invite to have faith in Jesus.
Passion prediction (22-23) – this is the second time that Jesus predict his passion. The first time is at Caesarea Philippi (Matthew 16:13). He predicts his death third time (20:18-19)
The temple tax (24-27) – The half-shekel tax was paid by Jewish makes annually to support the temple. By saying “whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes?” Jesus reveals his identity, Son of God, who is exempt from paying temple tax. But Jesus paid tax for others not to stumble out of this matter. Getting tax money from the mouth of fish also reveals who Jesus is, the Lord of all things.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.