- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Matthew 24
At Jerusalem— Signs of the end of the age.
Jesus finishes teaching in the temple at Jerusalem. He left the temple, predicting the downfall and destruction of the temple. And he continued teaching on his way to his final stage of ministry, death. Matthew 24:1- 25:46 comprises Jesus’ eschatological teaching, called little apocalypse, the teaching on the end of time.
Watch out (3- 35) – The Mount of Olives has good view of the city of Jerusalem. It was the place where prophet Zechariah saw God entering into the city, overcoming Israel’s enemies. The disciples ask about signs of Jesus’ coming, Parousia. He says, ‘watch out.” At Jesus’ return God’s sovereignty will be established.
Be ready (36-51) — No one know when Parousia comes. The parables in this section offer exhortation and warning to be ready for Jesus’ coming at an unknown time. “Faithful,” and “wise,” describes the ways how disciples, us today, are to be ready.
After Reading —- Reflection and prayer.
- Reflect on this question, “What does God speak to me today in this chapter?
- Pray that God’s word today be the way, the life, and the truth to you.
- Live it out through the day.