- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Isaiah 8
Isaiah receives oracle against King Ahaz because he does not trust God to protect his kingdom, instead he relies on Assyria. The oracle is to warn the king of impending disaster from Assyria.
God gives Isaiah the sign of it in the name, “Maher-Shalai-Hash-Baz, which is a symbolic name meaning “quick to the plunder, swift to the spoil.” This sign predicts that anti-Assyrian alliance by King Rezin of Aram and King Pekah of Israel will be quickly and swiftly destroyed by Assyria, leaving Ahaz unthreatened.
Isaiah warns King Ahaz of not to join anti –Assyrian alliance but, instead, fear God because God is with his people to deliver them.
1. What does God speak to you today in this chapter.
2. Why do you think King Ahaz prefer to rely more on alliance forces to on the promise of God.
3. Close with silent prayer for two minutes.