- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Isaiah 11
Along with a hope of remnant in chapter 10, a shoot and branch is oracle of hope that God will restore Davidic kingdom in Israel, God’s chosen king. A shoot and branch is a symbol of king who will rule the nation by the Spirit of God, with the fear of the Lord. The way the king governs the nation is righteousness and justice. Under his rule, his nation will live not by animal instinct but by perfect peace, with compassion, and love.
Isaiah envisions the day when exiled people will return home, and when God will gather all people of Israel and Judah who have been scattered to every part of the world. The return of the remnant people will be like the Israel people in exodus out of Egypt. In that day, Davidic kingdom will stand strong, and the reunited Israel and Judah will conquer all the peoples surrounding them.
1. What does God speak to you today in this chapter.
2. Read Isaiah 11:2-3 and Luke 4:16-19. Reflect on who are both passages pointing to? How Isaiah’s prophesy has been fulfilled in the life and ministry of Jesus.
3. Close with silent prayer for two minutes.