- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Isaiah 18
An oracle against Cush, upper Nile River region. It is call also Ethiopia, ancient Nubia. In 714 BC, the Nubian ruled Egypt, allied with Philistia, Moab, and Edom in a revolt against Assyria. Isaiah’s oracle against Cush is its invitation to participate in an anti-Assyrian revolt and also encouraged Judah to join.
God speaks, promising to intervene against Assyria, to wait until God will destroy Assyria to save Judah. Using the figure of harvest, Isaiah prophesy that since God determine the course of event, people must wait. Cush will witness that God save Judah, and Cush and all nations will bring gift to Mount Zion, the Temple Mount in Judah.
1. What does God speak to you today in this chapter.
2. Reflection on “Why would foreign nations give gifts to the Lord?”
3. Close with silent prayer for two minutes.