- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Isaiah 19
The oracle against Egypt is idolatry(v1-3), their practices of inquiring to spiritists, mediums. And God will judge Egypt with civil turbulence. Their life line will dry up, destroying their economy. Egyptian will have no control over natural disaster. Zoan is a major city of the Nile Delta, fertile land for farming. Memphis is traditional capital city of Egypt, near modern Cairo. These two cities represent the power of the nation, wisdom of making policy. But Egypt is acting foolishly because she follows deceived wisdom.
“In that day,” (v18, 23) is the day when God will judge Egypt in the future. God’s judgement follows signs that Egypt will turn to worship God. She will tremble before God, with fear at the hand of God almighty. God will save three nations, Egypt, Assyria, and Israel. They will worship the Lord, and Israel will be counted a mighty world power. Enmity between these three nations will cease as God bless them. Because all three are nations under the work of God.
1. What does God speak to you today in this chapter.
2. Reflection on verse 24, “In that day Israel will be the third, along with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing on the earth.” Why does God save Egypt and Assyria?
3. Close with silent prayer for two minutes.