- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Jeremiah 33
Promise of Restoration.
While Jeremiah was confined in the court of the guard, God spoke to him. Chapter 33 is the conclusion of the Little Book of Consolation in the book of Jeremiah. God reversed the former prohibitions against prophetic mediation to Jeremiah (11:14,15:1-15), and spoke to Jeremiah to prophesize the restoration of Judah and Israel. God invited him and people of Judah to call on him and God promised them to answer. This new revelation included restoration of relationship between God and God’s people.
God promised to bring the exiled back home, new exodus. God would heal them with forgiveness. Not only so, God would heal the city and the land, giving prosperity, and would rebuild Judah and Israel as in the past. God would cleanse them of their sin and again make the city of Jerusalem a source of pride.
God promised the restoration of life among them. The life of marrying and worshiping would resume. They would sing hymns of praise for divine goodness and steadfast love that God gave to their ancestor in the past.
The conclusion of the Book of Consolation was the promise that Davidic monarchy would be restored. The new Davidic King will arise to rule the nation with justice and righteousness. It would be so righteous and the king’s name would be called, “The Lord Our Righteousness.” Along with restored Davidic monarchy, the line of Levitical priests would offer sacrifices all the time.
God would never again reject two families, Judah and Israel. Jeremiah’s prophetic vision of restoration from God would take place in the future.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?