- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Jeremiah 41
Assassination of Gedaliah.
Ishmael was royal family of king Davidic line. He and his ten associates assassinated Gedaliah, governor appointed by Babylonian king to rule Judah. Then he massacred eighty pilgrims, except those who had hidden stores of food, on their way to offer worship at the temple site. Their bodies were dumped into a cistern. Ishmael also made hostage of the remaining survivors, and try to escape to his foreign supporters in Ammon
But Johanan, army officer for Gedaliah, pursued Ishmael, and Ishmael escaped to Ammon, and hostages were freed.
Ishmael’s bloodshed left chaos and fear among survivors. In fear of Babylonian retaliation for murdering of Gedaliah, they intended to escape to Egypt.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?