- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Jeremiah 46
Oracle against nations.
Chapters 46:1-51:64 are concluding section of the book of Jeremiah, prophesizing oracles againt foreign nations.
It begins with Egypt. Its prophecy is against the army of the king of Egypt, Neco. In 605 BC Babylonian King Nebuchadrezzar defeated King Neco II of Egypt at Carchemish, on the northern Euphrates, sixty miles west of Haran, the capital of Assyria, to the borders of Egypt.
Oracle against Egypt is her arrogance by forming military forces (v.9). Egypt and its regions prepared for battle. But the day of the Lord would come when the military might of Egypt could not match the sword that God wields. God called out Babylon to destroy Egypt (v.26).
Oracle against Egypt is her idolatry to Amon, and other gods. The Daughter of Egypt is a female and animal image of vulnerability. Egypt is a beautiful heifer, trying to escape from enemies. But escape is hopeless. Enemy will cut down Daughter of Egypt to shame.
Oracle of comfort and restoration is for the people of Israel in Egypt, the remnant of Jacob. They will return home because God will restore the covenant relationship between God and Israel. In the end, the nations that were once instruments of God’s punishment will receive punishment of their own.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?