- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Jeremiah 49
Oracle against all nations.
This chapter contains oracles against Ammon, Edom, Damascus, Kedar and Hazor, and against Elam.
Ammonites are descendants of Lot (Genesis 19:30-38). They brought bitterness to Israel. They joined Ishmael to assassinate governor Gadaliah (40:13-41:3). Molech, called other name, Milcom, was Ammonite national god. This crime and their pride, and idolatry, brought disaster. However, God would restore their fortunes.
Edomites are descendant of Esau, Jacob’s twin brother (Genesis 36). God questioned the loss of wisdom in Edom and threatened to destroy them completely, like the wicked Sodom and Gomorrah, like a flock before a lion.
Damascus is the capital city of Aram. Like a pregnant woman in labor, there would be weakness, panic and grief before the destroying fire.
Kedar and Hazor are descendants of Ismael, the son of Abraham and Hagar. Their crime was being at ease. God commanded Nebuchadnezzar to attack them, and they would lose their camels and cattle and the people would be dispersed.
Elamites are the descendants of Shem, one of Noah’s son. (Genesis 10:22). Elam was an ancient country east of Babylon and north of the Persian Gulf whose capital was Susa. This oracle came during the reign of Israel’s king Zedekiah. Trusting in their military forces, they invaded Jerusalem with Assyria. Four winds of heaven would be the God’s instruments in Elam’s fall. But God would restore the fortunes of Elam.
These oracles indicate God’s cosmic judgements, not just regional. But God’s mercy is also cosmic restoration.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?