- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Daniel 7
Vison of the four beasts.
Daniel saw a vision of four beasts.
The first year was 554BC when he began to act as viceroy for his father. Four winds introduced the beasts symbolizing four kingdoms. The four world kingdoms are depicted as ferocious beast;
The winged lion represents the Babylonian empire.
The bear represents the Medes.
The four headed winged leopard represents the Persians.
The dragon-like beast represents Greeks, whose ten horns represent the ten rulers who succeeded Alexander. The little horn is Antiochus Epiphanes, who gained his throne by uprooting others. “a time, times, and half a time,” (v.25) means duration of three and half years.
This vision was relating a historical incident, the persecution of the Jews by Aniochus IV Epiphanes in 167 BC. The Greek empire will be destroyed, but the remnant of the others will continue until absorbed into the final kingdom.
God will give the messianic king a universal everlasting dominion kingdom. All rulers will worship and obey him.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?