- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hosea 8
Hosea’s prophetic message was viewed blowing the trumpet. The trumpet warns of the approach of the enemy, disaster.
The apostasy of Israel was done when she made a treaty with Egypt and Assyria to protect her from crisis, turning away from God. Israel attempted to gain security by offering deals with other countries but failed to respond to God’s instruction.
This resulted in the punishment of God. As punishment for political defection, Israel shall be without king and princes (vv7-10). As punishment for religious defection, Israel shall return to Egypt(vv.11-14). Reliance on palace and walled cities alone is sin. (v.14).
In conclusion, the apostasy of Israel was breaking the covenant that God made at Mt Sinai after the exodus out of Egypt.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?