- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Hosea 9
Punishment for Israel’s sin.
Hosea prophesized the punishment of the people of Israel. Israel has rejected the Lord and must undergo punishment that will bring loss of king, children, places of worship, and country. Israel is destined for prey and slaughter and to be deprived of land and culture.
Hosea has pointed out each sin of the people of Israel in chapter 1-8, so that he can emphasize the necessity of God’s judgement against Israel. The punishment of God has been explained specifically, decreased harvest (v1-2), exile to foreign country (v.3), decreased in descendants (v1-17). The judgment of God has come to Israel collectively. His prophecy was accomplished when Israel was destroyed by Assyria in 722 BC.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?