- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Amos 6
Woe to Israel.
The second part of the third oracle is against the complacent of Israel. The Israelites felt themselves secure in their false confidence and lie upon the beds of ivory, a symbol of luxurious life, and fallen into self-indulgence. God’s judgement is for them to be exiled (v.7)
“Calneh and Hamath,” was important commercial centers in Syria and represented wealth and security.
The Israelites has turned faith into pride, justice into poison, and they will be thoroughly punished. They should be mourning the coming death of the nation, which will leave few survivors. (vv.10-11).
Prophet Amos denounced the lack of justice and righteousness in Israel as an absurdity(vv12-14). Their gloating over vain victory (v.13) will soon be turned into silence as Israel is conquered by other nation. From Hamath to the Arabah was the farthest extent of Israelite territory.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?