- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Zechariah 3
Clean Garments for the High Priest.
The vision shows the High Priest Joshua and Satan confronting him in the presence of God. Satan, in the Old Testament, is not the incarnation of evil but a functionary of the heavenly court who accuses man of wrong. Literal meaning of Satan is “the Adversary.”
Filth robe represents the sin of both priest and people. The clean turban and robe symbolizes purity, in preparation for the advent of the Messiah.
Joshua will present Jerusalem’s prayers to heaven, because with cleaned from sin, he will be access to the heavenly courts.
“The branch,” (v.8) is a Davidic figure who is to usher in the messianic age in the future. At the same time, it refers to Zerubbabel, who is new governor. Stones may symbolize Joshua’s high priesthood.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?