- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Zechariah 4
The Gold lampstand and the two Olive trees.
The fifth vision is a golden lampstand and two olive trees. These two objects are signs of the presence of God and kingship.
This vision emphasizes the important position held by Joshua, High Priest, and Zerubbabel, governor, in the restored Jewish post-exile community.
The number seven symbolizes “completeness,” “wholeness,” in Jewish culture. The stand with seven lamps signify the unified community or restored God’s presence in the whole earth. The two olive trees may provide old for the lamps and symbolizes anointing.
“two who are anointed to,” may symbolizes dual leadership of Zerubbabel and Joshua who are responsible to God and as the rulers in the restoration community.
This vision reveals that through God’s Spirit Zerubbabel will complete the temple, along with Joshua by the power of God. “Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty.” (v.6)
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?