- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Zechariah 9
An oracle against the enemies of Israel.
The poetic oracle beginning chapter 9 to the rest of chapters in the book of Zechariah is focused on restoration of Israel.
The oracle in verse 1-8 outlines the historical homeland of Israel and the future ideal Israel. It also mentions three historic enemies of Israel, Phoenicia, Philistia, and Syria/Aram. The shattering of these enemies foreshadows the new messianic era.
New messianic era will begin with the coming of Zion’s King, the prince of peace. The triumphant king comes as a humble and peaceful monarch. This prophet was fulfilled in Jesus Christ, triumphant entry into the city of Jerusalem riding on a donkey. (Matthew 21:5)
Final picture of restored Israel is the ingathering of dispersed people of Israel. Once the holy city, Zion’s king is in place, God will rescue the imprisoned in exile and restore Israel. God will appear before Israel’s enemies as a warrior and deliver her people. Prosperity will come to them. This imagery offers hope to exiles.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?