- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Zechariah 12
Day of the Lord is coming.
Concluding two chapters of the book of Zechariah describes the coming great day of the Lord, when he shall clean the sin of Jerusalem and re-establish the covenant, then the Lord will rule over all the earth. The coming of messianic kingdom is the conclusion of prophecy of Zechariah.
It begins with the cleanse of Jerusalem, and victory of the city over all nations (v.1-9). Jerusalem shall lament her sin, mourning over a prophet, king, or leader whom it has killed. And Jerusalem will be purged of idolatry. Then ideal king will be from the house of David. The future royal kingdom will be transformed into a kinder, gentler administration that will be remorseful toward those who had mistreated the prophets in the past. This messianic prophecy was fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
“Hadad Rimmon” (v.11) was a popular fertility god whose seasonal death was widely mourned, which referred to a ritual mourning among people in Jerusalem.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?