- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Zechariah 13
Day of the Lord is coming.
“On that day,” (v.1) indicates the day of the Lord when Israel and Judah will be judged by God by abolishing all uncleanness.
It is the day when God will banish the names of the idols.
It is the day when false prophets, professional prophecy, fallen into disrepute, will cease.
A separate messianic oracle was toward God’s shepherd who was smitten for the sheep. This imagery represents a shepherd, a Davidic ruler, who has been slain or assaulted. Jesus quoted this prophecy when he predicted his betrayal, suffering, death, and how his disciples and all who followed him would be scattered. ( Matthew 26:31).
After the death of the shepherd a remnant of his flock will be purified and saved. “one- third,” is a symbol of remnant in the land. They will be purified just as metal is refined and will acknowledge God’s relationship to Israel. “they are my people… The Lord is our God,” signifies the re-establishing of the covenant.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?