- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Joshua 3
Crossing the Jordan.
By the leadership of Joshua, the Israelites set out to cross Jordan river, entering into the land God promised. This event paralleled with both miracles of crossing the Red Sea about forty year ago when their ancestors left Egypt, and of crossing Jordan river. God opened the Red Sea, and God opened the Jordan river.
God was in the center of this event and the Joshua and the Israelites followed.
The ark of the covenant was the special token of the presence of God, leading ahead of the people to cross the river. In early days it frequently accompanied the Israelite armies into battle.
Crossing by order, the ark, the Priests, Levites, and the people, showed holistic act of faith following God’s command, sacred community. There was a one thousand yards away between the ark of covenant and the people. Sanctifying themselves before setting for crossing Jordan river was a performing a ritual purification.
The lesson we learn from this even is this: God delivers people in God’s way so that people may know God by experience.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?