- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Joshua 7
Chapter 7 describes a tragedy that the Israelite suffered caused by the sin of Achan.
Achan violated the oath of destruction at Jericho and Israel lost the first battle for Ai. The punishment was harsh causing the defeat of attacking war against Ai, which was smaller city that Joshua.
The way how Achan was selected by lot was divine involvement. “The Lord takes,” by the casting lots. This story tells of unitary view of society causing the entire group to be blamed for the sin of one of its members. The unitary conception of society required that all the members of Achan’s family group, human and animal, be purged from Israel.
Harsh punishment as we may feel from this story, the violation of the covenant ends up with God’s fierce anger.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?