- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Joshua 8
After Israel cleansed of Achan’s guilt, God gave them a victory at Ai. “Do not be afraid…. For I have delivered into your hands the king of Ai.” (v.1)
By the command of God to take Ai, Joshua led his army to battle ground. His wisdom and military tactic brought them to victory.
Setting up an altar on Mount Abal is connected to Deuteronomy 27:1-10, when Moses commanded the people of Israel to set up a big stone as the sign of covenant of the law. Joshua carried out the commandment given to Moses by building an altar and setting up a copy of the law.
Mt Ebal is one the twin mountains with Mt Gerizim in central Palestine, twenty-mile north of Ai.
Mt Gerizim was to bless and Mt Ebal was to curse. Joshua read all the law Moses commanded to all Israelites and aliens.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?