- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Joshua 9
Covenant with neighboring countries.
It has been known to six countries in the west side of Jordan about Joshua and Israel, the kings of these countries allied together to fight against Israel. But Gibeon, one of inhabitants in Cannon, heard about how God has led the Israelites from the slavery of Egypt to the current, destroying Jericho and Ai, they pretended themselves to be ambassador from a far, carrying old sack and wineskins. They asked Joshua and the Israelites to make a covenant, a peace with them.
The Israelites took some of their provision, and Joshua made a peace with them. But Joshua and the Israelites later found that they disguised them. Joshua cursed them and made them to be servants of the Israelites as woodcutters and water carries.
What do we read lesson from this story?
When Israelites made provision of covenant with Gibeon, they did not ask counsel of the Lord (v.14). Their own making covenant with the Gibeon caused trouble later.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?