- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Judge 12
Jephthah and Ephraim
Chapter 12 records a struggle between Ephraim and Gad (Gilead) over the war between Jephthah and Ammonites. They complains that Jephthah did not invite them to fight against the Ammonites, like they complained against Gideon for the same reason( 8:1)
It resulted in tribal war between Gad and Ephraim, killing forty- two thousand Ephraimites. This episode shows that there was tribal struggle in the land of Israel during this time.
Jephthah ruled Israel six years, followed by new judges Ibzan, Elon, and Abdon, who ruled Israel respectively seven years, ten years, and eight years.
Look at this map to see each judges and places.
- What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?