- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read Judge 13
The birth of Sampson.
When the Israelites did evil before God, God delivered them to the hands of Philistines for forty years. The philistines were a group of Sea people from the region of the Aegean Sea and Asia Minor who settled on the southern coast of Palestine in the 12th century BC. They were strong in warfare using iron weapon.
God interceded to save the Israelite from the hands of Philistine, raising a judge Samson from the tribe of Dan. The birth story of Samson detailed about divine intervention. God specified what to do for his parents, designating Samson as Nazirite. The Nazirite was a person who took special vows to be dedicated to God according to rules like those in Numbers 6:1-21.
“The angel of the Lord,” “a man of God” appeared repeatedly to guide the parents of Sampson before he was born so that they can raise him according to the Nazirite law.
Samson has grown with the blessing of God, and the Spirit of the Lord began to work in him.
A new story of salvation of God through judge Samson started.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?