- Centering prayer— Pray for illumination, “Lord, open my heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit,” and remain in silence.
- Read slowly, keeping any words or phrase that come to your mind, and mark on them.
- Close eyes and meditate on what you read.
- Take a note if you have question, inspiration.
Read 1 Samuel 24
David spares Saul’s life.
David got out of the hand of King Saul, when he had an opportunity to kill King Saul. But David acted on his integrity.
At the cave in in the desert of En Gedi where King Saul was hiding, David crept up unnoticed and cut off a corner of Saul’s robe, instead of killing him. But he was conscience –stricken even for cutting off a robe of the Lord’s anointed.
David let the Lord judge between himself and King Saul, leaving avenge up to the Lord, confessing before the King Saul, “my hand will not touch you.” He acted out an old saying, “from evildoers come evil deeds.”
King Saul was touched in his heart by David’s act on integrity, regarding David better than himself. He recognized that kingship would be passed on to David. He elicited a pledge from David concerning the future of his family, and David gave his oath to King Saul.
1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage tell you about people.?
3. What does this passage tell you about yourself and God’s will for you?